no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
as someone who has spent the past year or so "hybridizing" my 15 year old raleigh mountain bike into a back-up/winter commuter street bike, here's what i did, along with some before and afters.

- switched out the crappy old first-gen rock-shox out for a rigid cro-mo fork.
- switched out the original wheelsets with some vuelta zero-lites that allow me to run a narrow 1.0" road tire.
- switched out the old 24-34-42 crankset for a larger 28-38-48 for greater top end firepower.
- switched out the fat knobby kendas for some ritchey tom slick tires (though as pictured below the bike currently has schwalbe snow studs for winter commuting).
- switched out the flat bar for some bullhorns because i find that riding with my hands parallel to direction fo travel to be much more comfortable.

the bike is still somewhat heavy due to its bomb-proof cro-mo frame, but with all my changes and adjustments, i've turned it into a very serviceable and fun-as-hell to ride urban street bike for winter/back-up commuting use. as other have said, the biggest and most immediate change you'll notice will be switching from off-road knobbies to something designed for street travel.

before:

after:
Re: bullhorns, what and where did you get? Been kicking around the idea of swapping for either the Nashbar Trekking (but seems to be out of stock more than in) or some bullhorns. Only thing is that I currently have grip shifters and don't know if the pods will slide around the curve...