Old 02-05-11, 01:30 PM
tmoneygetpaid

Bikes: '82 Trek 613, '83 Lotus Eclair, '86 (?) Yokota Ranger, '85 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, looked around a bit, and sugar coat is way expensive for me, and even that place in plymouth wants $125, which out of my price range.

This may sound heretical, but I'm thinking of stripping the paint off, doing an OA bath, cleaning the frame thoroughly, sanding to get the metal "sticky," and then quickly priming and clear coating over the bare steel. There have been countless threads about getting a diy bare steel look with rattle can primer and finish, but there doesn't seem to be consensus about whether priming and then clear coating/ finishing over the primer would work well, or whether there'd be inevitable rust under the sprays. Everyone agrees that without primer, ie with just clear coat/ finish, it'll rust under the finish, but I haven't seen any comments about primer then finish.

Before you suggest it, I did price out sand blasting and clear powder coat over the bare frame, and it's still way over my budget ($95 is the cheapest quote I got, even if I strip the paint myself).

Thoughts?

And how many coats of primer and clear should I do?

Last edited by tmoneygetpaid; 02-05-11 at 01:34 PM.