Old 02-05-11, 06:33 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
This leads to a question that I have intended to ask for some time...

Were you aware that your stretched skin might not shrink back when you lost weight? If you were aware, did it influence your outlook on weight loss -- that is, did it have a negative impact on your progress because inevitably, you would end up with skin pockets that aren't particularly attractive? And, are you considering any sort of surgery to remove the skin?

It's a sensitive area, I know, and that reason is why I have held back on asking. But it seems to be a very releveant set of questions when it comes to maintaing the motivation to keep the weight loss going. And I don't recall reading about the issue much in this forum. It seems to be a negative consequence, and one that can be hidden. But for example, when starting a new relationship, the revelation will need to be made at some point or another.

Fortunately, I have never progressed from just being overweight to mordibly obese, although I suspect I am now at an age where the elasticity of the skin around my stomach means I am less likely to show off well defined abs into the future. So I can sort of identify with the issue...
I fully expect the skin to recover. From what I have read it can take several years post weight loss for that to happen. The key is your percent body fat. Even after a lot of weight loss, your body may be storing fat in the skin areas, which prevent it from shrinking. Given time and further weight loss, the issue should correct itself.

Frankly, I don't really care about the skin. I just found the scanner issue funny. The falling flat on my back, instead of a well padded derrier was less funny. Though that may change in the future when the pain eases...