View Single Post
Old 02-06-11, 07:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Just realised how gullible I am. I only intended spending £24- but the temptation of the £10 discount and I have doubled my order for something that I do not really need although they will get used eventually- if I can keep them off the Son-in-Laws bike.

Am I alone in my thinking?
You did what I would have done.

First of all, you really ride your bike so the extra tire and all of the tubes will eventually get used so none of that money is wasted. Actually, buying 3 tires at a time is a common stragety. When the first rear tire wears out, just pop on the third new one and it will wear out at about the same time as the front tire. A tube on the son-in-law's bike still counts as getting used. Frankly, if you aren't getting payment-in-kind from your son-in-law that far exceeds the value of a bicycle inner tube, you're not doing it right.

Then there's the shipping charge. For things like tires and tubes you usually have to pay the minimum shipping charge so adding a few additional items onto your order doesn't raise the amount of shipping that you have to pay. In other words, you're minimizing the shipping cost per item.