Old 02-06-11, 02:03 PM
jeffnjm3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "Back in the saddle" build

Hi Everyone,

Well its been a long time since I've really been on my bike, other than riding my son around the neighborhood. I was quite an avid rider back in high school, I even worked at the local bike shop for many years. I had many frames back then, but i kept coming back to my steel 93 Diamond Back Apex, a full LX bike it was my first "real" bike. But then come the common story, college, marriage, house kids, broken cars, etc took up all of my time. The bike was dissasembled and put in the back of the garage. A couple years ago, I found one of my dream frames, a Spooky June Bug, for pretty cheap on Ebay. I bought it! I went to build it and realized many of my good go fast parts, were past their prime and/or broken, so I did my best. Stx cranks replaced the cracked Kooka's, Quadra 10's replaced the Manitou EFC that didnt really rebound anymore, etc. Somehow a Brooks saddle got on there. And thats how I rode it the last couple of years, sadly only on the street.

Well for me, 2011 is the year of the mountain! I already did a little snowboarding for the first time in about 10 years. Now back to my favorite outdoor activity, mountain biking! So I will use this thread to document my build, it will not be a top dollar build, but more of a bargain build! I found a 98 Stumpjumper for $250 I am going to buy for parts i think, got a lx/xt setup with a XTR rear derailleur and a Rock Shox Judy C, think that is a good idea? Thinking about painting it first, as long as I can get new decals, which I think I can. Here's a pic of it as is. Sorry for the long rant, I can't wait to hit the trails!

Jeff