View Single Post
Old 02-07-11, 09:40 AM
alcanoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Default.aspx is an interesting company. When the dollar/pound are in the correct relationship, CRC will appear more often/earlier on google searches. I've bought XTR pedals, XTR shifter pods and my son got a suspension fork from them at far lower overall cost than US options at the time. It's surprising they can do that considering shipping.

It's risky buying across the pond though. The cost of shipping a defective product back would be a killer and one might run into warranty problems as well.

Jensen is one of the best. I sometimes call to discuss a product with them if I'm not sure it's "right". Much of the staff apparently bikes which is helpful. Had an amusing conversation with one of their guys some months back when I had to get a new saddle after I destroyed mine in a crash on a very rocky section of trail 6 miles out from the car. The Jensen guy recently had the same thing happen (saddle pops off rails) at 9 miles out. He had to walk 6 miles as he couldn't stand but three.

I found out from him that it's not unusual with ti rails. I told him I carried medical tape and taped it back on. I rode out.
We both wound up replacing the saddle with the same model that gave us grief. Gluttons for punishment, but he'll carry tape now.

I broke the saddle on a Sunday afternoon, had the replacement installed on Tuesday afternoon and it came from the west coast to rural Georgia. Didn't get it from Jenson as they were out of stock on the ti-rail model.

I rarely buy from Nashbar and Performance nowadays. Nashbar doesn't carry much stuff, except they do have a Trekker bar for the wife's road bike which we are waiting on. Performance is rarely cost competitive for my stuff. We do drop by the Performance store sometimes in Atlanta when we are in the area.

When we are in N Georgia and I need something in a hurry, I'll call about 5 bike shops in Atlanta some 50 miles away. I always strike out and have to overnight it if it's critical. I didn't bother on the saddle. Bike shops have to stock high turn-over items. $120.00 saddles are not in that category.

Al