Old 02-07-11, 05:40 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ninasbuick
Grace this is a wonderful idea! I'm setting off in two weeks on a 4,000 mile/4,000 photo bike and photography project called PhotoBike and will be watching for the article(s) you write regarding touring and photography.

In planning my trip, my primary concern has been carrying film (about 60 rolls?) and my equipment. I purchased an Arkel Big Bar Bag to keep all three of my cameras--digital point and shoot, 35mm film, and Holga 120 format, within easy reach. The bag is also waterproof, from what I've read, but I will still keep the gear in plastic bags. As far as tips on composition, I'm not so much interested in that as each photographer can find her own style. For power I'm taking a rollable solar panel from SolarFilm and a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter adapter attached to the solar panel. I've had to cut down on some equipment to accommodate the film's bulk, but you could always send some of the film to someone halfway through the ride and switch out spent for new rolls then.

You can see the details on the PhotoBike project at www.ninasbuick.com, and I'll be posting regular updates as well as photos from the tour as I go along. Looking forward to seeing your article!
Are the cameras you mentioned small enough to carry them all in one handlebar bag? I found one DSLR (Canon 40D) with two lenses to be quite a burden to carry. I've sent the 100mm macro lens back home after few days, just kept the 17-55mm lens for the reminder of the tour. They would only fit in panniers and that made them hard to get out. And 60 rolls of film?! That's a lot!