Old 02-08-11, 02:44 PM
daveF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Petty criminals do ride bikes! Some municipalities have passed ordinances just so police can easily stop people riding bikes in certain areas. I know this because I talked & had some training from a city lawyer who wrote one of these ordinances. Minor drug dealers were riding bikes & the ordinance helped police to easily stop them. The ordinance required front & rear lights (regardless of time of day) & an audible bell or horn that could be heard to a certain distance. The ordinance also prohibited riding on sidewalks. A violation of this ordinance was an arrestable offence. If an officer stopped someone they suspected of carrying drugs who was in violation of this offense, they would normally first ask for permission to search. If the person refused, they would be arrested & searched subsequent to the arrest. The ordinance worked very well & as far as I observed it was not abused. I rode through areas where the ordinance was used for that purpose on a road bike which did not meet the requirements & was never stopped. I wasn't hiding any contraband in my jersey or shorts!