Old 02-09-11, 03:42 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I was given an late 80's (i'm guessing) Mongoose MTB frame. I'm gonna strip everything off and build all it from scratch. I will retain the front fork and handlebar and have the frame sandblasted and painted. This will be a commuter as well as a possible touring bike.

I'll need a wheelset, brakes, shifters and derailers, the works. Even a new seat. I've been looking at Nashbar's brand of parts but I see that the basic Shimano isn't a lot more money.

I am on a budget... but I have some funds set aside for this build, about $500 - $700 depending on a few minor details.

Is this price range reasonable to buy quality parts? Has anyone done a complete rebuild with this type of budget?
If you're on a budget you most prudent bet is to use what you have on hand/came with the frame. Otherwise you're going to burn through a lot of cash and in the end come up with a bike that may be a jack of all trades but a complete master of neither purpose you stated. If you have $500 to $700 to burn I'd look at saving a little more and getting a Surly cross-check or something in a similar vein.