Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A steel mtb sounds good!

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I was given an late 80's (i'm guessing) Mongoose MTB frame. I'm gonna strip everything off and build all it from scratch. I will retain the front fork and handlebar and have the frame sandblasted and painted. This will be a commuter as well as a possible touring bike.

I'll need a wheelset, brakes, shifters and derailers, the works. Even a new seat. I've been looking at Nashbar's brand of parts but I see that the basic Shimano isn't a lot more money.

I am on a budget... but I have some funds set aside for this build, about $500 - $700 depending on a few minor details.

Is this price range reasonable to buy quality parts? Has anyone done a complete rebuild with this type of budget?
In fact I`ll probably be working on one myself! But I`d suggest a different strategy. Bikes are a lot like cars in that if you buy them in parts they cost 10x as much. Seriously suggest you look at picking up a couple used bikes and using them for parts. They should have components you`re interested in and be in good condition. Also suggest you double check that frame. If its cromoly I`d go with it. If its just mild steel I wouldn`t sink that kind of a budget into it.

My last rebuild wasn`t a mtb- it was a hybrid. A customer brought the bike in and it needed some serious TLC. The rear wheel was tacoed, the wheel bearings and BB bearings were loose, the cables were corroded and it needed new tires. Thing is - he wasn`t prepared to spend $200+ on it.

But the bike originally sold for $600 in 1993 and the drivechain amazingly showed almost no wear. So I offerred him $100 and he walked away happy.

About 10 hours later the bike had been completely stripped and regreased. Yup - the bearings were in immaculate condition. A new seat. tires, stainless cables and new brake pads, and it looked like a completely different machine. I did have to dissasemble and straighten and rebuild the rear wheel, but those were welded rims and were worth the effort.

And OK, I had some stuff lying around. so maybe the fenders, racks, and water bottles should go in there as a cost too. Was it a `deal`? Not if you look at the amount of time that went into it. But if you have more time than money you can still end up at the same point and I got a REALLY nice winter bike. A lot nicer than the new hybrids being sold across the street for $600.

Last edited by Burton; 02-09-11 at 09:12 PM.