Old 02-12-11, 11:31 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting replies - dont get me wrong, Im not saying NOT going to the doctors is good thing. I just feel today's society tends to visit the doctor as if there going to the library - its too easy. Any little thing and their on the phone.

I have friends who do exactly as described here. They have a headache and its not a headache its "probably" a sign of a brain aneurism and so the tests begin. A bad, moody day isn't a moody day - its depression or bipolar. Self diagnoized via WebMD

Of course, there are times when things are caught early - has to be - its the law of averages.

Personally, the last time I went to the docs (unscheduled - non general check up) was one spring day (2007) and I had just mowed our lawn - I got hit hard with allergies and was a little short of breath. As it went on for a few hours I visited the doc and he immediately diagnosed it as a re-occurrence of my childhood asthma - I had not had a case in 30+ yrs. He gave me an inhaler, sent me to an instructional course on asthma, arranged follow up visits and an insistence that I take the asthma medication everyday for life. I knew it was simple allergies - I knew what asthma felt like and this was not it. I used the meds for a week and then threw them in the garbage. Never had an instance since and that was 4 yrs ago.

Of course , YMMMV

Last edited by magohn; 02-12-11 at 11:35 PM.