Old 02-15-11, 03:53 AM
vantassell
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
One doesn't neet a $1500 pashley or whatever to run errands and slamming a $300 bicycle for not being steel... well, whatever. I'm sure it was necessary.
I agree, BUT what else fulfills my wants.

1) Step-thru frame -For easy mount/dismount
2) Rear Coaster brake - Frees up a hand for braking. On a regular bike I hate coaster brakes, but on a dutch bike they make sense. It's safer.
3) IGH
4) Strong enough to carry serious weight on Front/Rear Rack
5) Jacket/Skirt/Chain Guard - Allows rider to ride in all clothing without worry
6) Upright riding position - Safer since it lets people see you and they can see you. Also allows easier mounts/dismounts in snow. Also very comfy
7) Security Features - Integrated lock, plus heavy weight makes it easy to only have to add one lock in order to discourage theft.
8) Built-in fenders - duh
9) Dyno-hub would be nice, but not required.

What bike gives all of that without being expensive? I feel like the rear coaster hub is incredibly important. It allows you to carry something while riding. I know that's not optimal, but I find myself trying to carry something while riding all of the time. I also feel like the geometry makes it safer and appeal to a greater audience. Dutch bikes are the way they are for a reason, they make sense when you think about it. My wife doesn't want a bike with 27 gears, that she'll have to hunch over on. She wants one that she can ride in any clothes, easily start/stop, be comfortable, and safe on. Dutch bikes fit that bill.