View Single Post
Old 02-15-11, 11:01 AM
texas2wheel
Banned.

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT5, Fetish Cycles Fixation MTB, Schwinn Pro Stock 3 24" BMX, 70's Schwinn single speed beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
$600 is hard to argue with. But I will say, after getting it assembled/checked at the local shop, tuning the wheel and replacing spokes, and changing out the stem and riser, he has more like $800 in it (not counting things he would have changed anyway on any bike, like the saddle). In retrospect, I'd rather build a Surly LHT for that price (using some slightly used eBay parts) than buy the Windsor already built. If nothing else, you can get much better wheels that way.
I've got about $850 in mine (brooks saddle, axiom rack, pedals and stem riser) but a LHT wont come with a rack or a brooks or my pedals or the exact riser height either, so you can spend $850 - $950 building a used LHT and then add those things on top of that, or you can go the windsor route and have just as good of a bike, for less money. Just a side note, my windsor came with better components than my brothers factory complete surly CC (except his hubs have a name brand on them, if you're of the opinion that a name = quality, but I'll be upgrading to a dynamo hub in the next month).