View Single Post
Old 02-15-11, 01:20 PM
m_yates

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Tourist. I did break one spoke on my original wheels, but replaced it myself with the spare on the frame and had no further problems. Last year, I bought new wheels for it, but the original wheels just got overhauled and will be used on a friends bike that I am building up.

I'd suggest at some point swapping the brakes for Tektro CR720 instead of Tektro Oryx. The CR720 isn't much more expensive, but they work much better in my opinion.

My Tourist has also been my hobby. Just about everything has been swapped on it, but I wouldn't change it now for any other bike. It is a 2008 model and I have lost track on miles on it (several thousand):

I've now got wheels with Velocity Dyad rims and Shimano Tiagra hubs. I also lowered the gearing with a Sugino XD600 crank, put a better rack (Tubus), replaced the bottom bracket after it broke (Shimano UN54), put a B17 saddle on it, replaced the headset with a NOS Shimano 105, replaced the handlbars with Nitto Noodle, stem with Nitto Technomic, brake levers with NOS Shimano 105, Dura Ace bar end shifters, NOS Shimano 105 front derailleur, and Shimano XT rear derailleur.

I hate to sit down and calculate how much money I have tied up in it, but I love it just as it is now!