Old 02-19-11, 09:42 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Is your favorite bike completely trustworthy and supportive?

It’s a strange question, I know. Mine is.

My winter bike is a vintage bike and is a little less compatible than my favorite bike. I took a fall on the winter bike this week when the quick release skewer broke and the axle slipped forward. The second such fall on the bike this year. I don’t like old-school horizontal drop-outs and the skewers are not up to the task of holding the axle in place. I’ll fix that, and the winter bike will be trustworthy again... ... I hope.

Friday I rode my best bike for the first time in several weeks. My best bike is a 2008 steel Cyclocross bike. It fits the best of all my bikes. It’s about 98% as fast as my Ti road bike. It shifts intuitively and has well spaced gears across a huge range. It’s has the smoothest ride. It’s the bike I ride most often. It’s the best bike for a 200k event. It is the most versatile bike and can be taken off-road. It can carry light loads as a commuter. It has vertical dropouts that are fail safe.

Being back on this bike made me feel confident again. I can totally trust that bike. Zero issues in 8000 miles of riding. I trust that bike with my life, and it has transformed my physical fitness.

Is it wrong to love a bike?

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-19-11 at 10:09 AM.