Old 02-21-11, 07:18 AM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by opie
Have you used a GPX file that's a loop yet? I've got OsmAnd using my GPX files but am still kinda figuring it out. I used the "Route with GPX" and started at home with a short loop hoping I could just put the phone in my pocket and use the GPS for it to tell me where to turn. I think I need to turn on the Background service maybe?

Also, have you figured out the difference between direct and reverse when you route via GPX?
The program was not designed for navigating a looped route. It prefers to take you to a destination and will command you back to the start point off route if you have a loop programmed. Best to not start directions for a looped course until you are well away from the start point. Just select the "where am I?" button and you should start navigating your route with voice prompts directing you to rejoin the route from wherever you are.

Another technique is to break it up into separate routes that do not end at the starting point. The reverse route feature is perfect for this in some ways. It just takes you back to the start point from the end point along the same route you just traveled.

In fact the reverse route feature is really a safety net that will point you home (back to the start point) no matter where you are. The blue arrow tells you where you're heading and the red arrow always points straight to home. Keep the two lined up and you'll get back to where you started, guaranteed. If you follow voice prompts, you'll rejoin the route back to the start.

I just used it to walk back from Bondi Beach to Double Bay here in Sydney. I used reverse route to take me home by just lining up the arrows and disregarded the GPX bikeroute I had programmed. As mentioned earlier, all of this is with GPS and a downloaded map database to avoid the data roaming cost while out of country.