Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not something I'd suggest you"d do without the help of a bike dealer

Originally Posted by marinmillvalley
Have some bikes that I want to powdercoat & need advice on tear down and putting bike back together.
Mechanic experience - 1979 Jeep CJ7 - usual brakes, belts, starter replacement that kind of stuff.

Tools: Park PCS 10 Stand, craftsman wrench set, socket set, usual shade tree mechanic tools

Bike: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix, late 70's Fuji mixte

Do I need to remove bottom bracket? If so any special tools needed?

Headset - removal - any special tools?

Or should I let a LBS pull BB, headset & replace after the powder coating?

Would that be cheaper than buying tools needed to do job?

Have an R.E.I. close by that people say are reasonable for everyday repairs.

Thanks for any info.
Depending on the condition of the bottom bracket and the model - you may or may not be able to do that with easily available tools. Its pretty common for that area to sieze up and take some specialized tools to 'rescue' the components without damaging anything.

And powder coating involves a thermal curing process so all parts need to come off the frame. The main concern will be how well the BB and headset areas are protected during the coating process. Powder coating is harder and less porous than conventional paint and any excess needs to be removed from the areas that other parts will interface with (bottom bracket and headset areas).

So you might be OK to take apart and reassemble the rest of the bike, but you'd probably be doing yourself a favor asking for some expertice with those other areas.