Old 02-22-11, 10:19 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn
Oh and I will be flying Alaska or Horizon Air. They say that bikes are subject to overweight and oversize fees but I'm pretty sure I can keep it under 61 in and 50 lbs.
Under 50 lbs.? Probably. But under 61" (62" on most airlines exc. Alaska) - no way for a regular bike. That measurement is the sum of length + width + height. Pack two regular size wheels in a box and you'll be pretty close to that limit already so unless the frame folds or comes apart you'll end up way over. Can't help with recent experiences using a regular bike since I switched to a Bike Friday folding bike years ago to make travel easier. It fits within a regular suitcase that's just barely within the 62" limit - but that's with 20" wheels and a folding frame. My experience has been that airlines are pretty strict about the weight limit but don't usually measure for the 61"/62" limit if what you have looks like a normal suitcase. But the typical bike carriers are way over the limit and look it.

Check the oversize baggage charges of the potential airlines carefully and it wouldn't hurt to print out a copy of their rules and charges. Keep it handy at checkin just in case they try to charge you even more.