View Single Post
Old 02-23-11, 08:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
A little caution with the matching gift route. I know at least one ride that normally does not allow you to use matching gift to meet the minimum because often the company match is not paid until the end of the year, well after the event. If you can get a match in time for the event, you may be o.k.

I have raised in the $5K-$7K+ range for the MS Society for the last 6 years. As my friend at the local MS office said, "shake the trees." I have been helped by my company's matching gift program. I also fundraise in conjunction with a co-worker who has MS. She is able to tap into resources like friends and relatives of hers outside the workplace. Shortly before ride day last year, another co-worker was diagnosed with MS. I am sure he will be joining the cause this year.

Another source are businesses you frequent. For example, my local watering hole usually comes through with $25/year. And a couple of the bartenders there donate as well. Our workforce has been declining due to attrition. To compensate for those losses, I am intending to hit up more businesses this year. My favoreite fish monger comes to mind. I'd say I drop on average $35/week there. Most definitely hit up people whose causes you have supported in the past.

While email can work, I prefer to use paper with people who are easy to reach, like co-workers. It's easy for an email to get burried under mounds of work email. A piece of paper can be taped to a bulletin board or put somewhere conspicuous on a desk so as to serve as a reminder. Here is the text of last year's letter to co-workers with the names removed. It was written jointly with my co-worker who has MS.

Multiple Sclerosis is a disease that affects the central nervous system. It can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including abnormal fatigue, vision problems, loss of balance and muscle coordination, slurred speech, tremors and stiffness. In some cases, it is even fatal. Every hour of every day, another American is diagnosed with MS. We need to take action now to help the growing number of people affected by the disease. That is why we are teaming up again this year to raise money to help find a cure for MS through the MS 150 City-to-Shore, a two-day cycling event which offers participants the opportunity to pedal up to 175 miles from Cherry Hill to Ocean City, NJ and back. This year’s event will take place on September 25th-26th.

This will mark ________'s nineteenth consecutive City-to-Shore and the event’s 30th anniversary. Thanks to your generous support and _________’s Matching Gift Program, last year we were able to raise over $6,300. That made _____ the 26th highest fundraiser out of nearly 7,000 participants. This year we have our sights set on $7,000. Making a donation is easy:
  • Simply make your check payable to the “National MS Society”, enclose it in the envelope provided and return it to either of us. We will take care of submitting the Matching Gift Program paperwork.
  • You may also donate on line using a major credit card by visiting: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/______(Note that on line donations do not qualify for matching under Conrail’s Matching Gift Program.)

The National MS Society is the leading provider of programs for people with MS and their families. The Society invests more money into MS research than any national voluntary health organization in the world. This is why we are asking for your support. Each one of us can create a world free of MS.

Yours truly,