Old 02-23-11, 02:34 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Many thanks everybody for the replies.
I realise this is a subject that has been done to death over the years so appreciate that people have taken the time to give me advice.
Looks like a trip to the DIY place is in order for some Vernier calipers, a threaded rod, some washers and nuts...

I have 2 options for the fork.

1) Steel, 1", threaded, ex-Peugeot Competition 500. I think it might be Columbus Thron. It's heavy and the (purple) paint is in poor condition. Here's a pic of the back of it:

2) Steel, 1", threadless, ex-budget mid-90s race bike, no-name. Silver and in very good condition.
Here's a pic before it was swapped out for a carbon one:

I am pretty sure that crown races are insatalled on both forks.

I also have a threaded to threadless adaptor, with a shim, so I am not 'restricted' to quill stems if i decide to go the threaded route.

I'm basically ineterested in whatever is going to be the easiest and cheapest solution really, and i am very keen to have a go at it myself to improve my limited skills and widen my knowledge base.