Old 02-24-11, 11:28 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Raleigh Sports Wheel Rebuild - I can't find front hub measurements

I wanted a Sports for a while. I found one last year and did a complete overhaul on it. It's a 1973 Ivory Glaze 23" model. I ride 25" frames, though, and I couldn't get comfortable with the north road bars. I had resigned to sell it come spring, but. . .

I was up way too late the other night and, on a whim, quickly mocked up the Sports with the Soma Lauterwasser bars I purchased recently and some beater Berthet pedals. I definitely like the look, and while the saddle-to-bar drop is more than I'm used to, the reach is correct for me.

So, I've decided to upgrade the rims. I'm going to rebuild the wheels with Sun CR-18s and I have three questions.

1. What are the front hub measurements? I can't find them online.
2. Should I use straight gauge or double butted spokes? I'll be using brass nipples.
3. My spoke calculator tells me I need 36 275mm spokes for the rear wheel. I know many others here have done this exact wheel build. Does this sound correct?

Here's a crappy cell pic of the mock up taken at about 3am after too many Pabsts. Thanks in advance for the help!