Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I like it.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
The original Raleigh front hubs are 96mm OLN with quite a small axle. You're better off getting a second one used from eBay or a forum member than adapting a modern hub - cheaper too.

You're stuck using a Sturmey hub with flatted axles to fit the dropouts of the Sports. Nothing else will fit without DO modification, which I've long considered a no-no. Raleigh revised the dropout slot size on the Sports and DL-1 in 1977; those bikes don't have this issue.

-Kurt
Could I just file a flat spot on the axle of a modern, 100mm hub and muscle it in there?

Originally Posted by rhm View Post
If you're going with a whole new pair of wheels, you can even go 32/40 on spoke numbers if you want the real traditional look. Those hubs are probably easier to find, too. And, of course, there's the possibility of putting a dynohub in front. I like dynohubs.
Are the new SA 3 and 5 speed hubs available in 40h? While I dig the traditional look, I'd probably just go 36/36 or even 36/32. I'll consider the inexpensive Sanyo dynamo.

I'm swamped at work so there is no wheel building for me before the end of April. I'll probably just order the wheels from J&B via my LBS. I sent them a pair of hubs recently to build into a wheelset and was quite satisfied with the result.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-24-11 at 02:25 PM.