Old 02-24-11, 07:49 PM
hillzofvalp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1" to 1 1/8in" shim and top cap question.

I have:

-a 40mm 1" spacer that I'm likely to lathe down a little bit for the right height.
-thomson x2 on order with 36mm stack height
-chris king 1" no threadset.
-thomson shim lathed down to 32mm (was supposed to be 36mm to match stack height but I went over on accident). I am able to recover 4-5mm of shim from the scrap I cut off, if needed.
-Old 1" threaded washer that might prove useful between stem and top cap.

ISSUE: I was just putting things together, and I did not fully realize until now that my 1" top cap will not make contact with a 1 1/8inch stem.

Questions:
-Is this a big issue?

Tension in the headset could possibly be maintained with solely the top cap and screw. Also, the top cap is capable of going through the stem because it has an OD of just under 1 1/8". No real stem compression is present unless I use a 1" washer with a wide enough OD and narrow enough ID on top of the stem to adapt the 1" cap.

- will 32 mm of shim effect anything dramatically if stack height of stem is 36mm?

My understanding is that the shim will have to be placed low as because of the need to maintain contact under compression from top cap. Also, the top cap would have to be 4-5mm inside the stem cause I cut my steerer planning on having a flush top cap. OR I could lathe down the 40mm carbon fiber spacer, if it's not going to shred apart. (in cnc lathe)

- What things are there to look for when cutting carbon fiber with a lathe? Will a slow feedrate ensure safety?

I figure I should just buy a 1 1/8" top cap and be done with it.

Last edited by hillzofvalp; 02-24-11 at 08:13 PM.