View Single Post
Old 02-27-11, 02:06 PM
Push
Zeusmeatball

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
Affirmative on the year.
From appearances, it needs a complete overhaul (a thorough cleaning &polishing/new tires/lube &bearing/new ss cables/housing/bartape/shoes/& chain) and it would be best to replace the sprung mattress saddle with something more period appropriate.
I would also remove the reflectors, dork disk, and the safety levers, and add some new brake hoods.
At that, it would bring $120-140 in the spring.

And, for a few more bucks, you could re-spoke it, and get some alloy rims, and DT shifters or barcons and keep it yourself! (As I said, it has great potential!)
Thanks for the replies guys, I was looking the bike over and it will in fact need cables/housings/tires/tubes (even though the tires are holding air seemingly fine right now) and pretty much everything you mentioned Auchen. The bike fits me (I did not measure it but when I adjust the seat its pretty comfortable) and is the first road bike that I have besides a way too small old Murry that's out back in the shed so keeping it may just be the ticket BUT and there's always a but right? will the bike hold up to a clyde? I am 6'4'' tall and right now weigh 325 pounds but getting smaller I stay away from these kinds of bikes usually because they seem frail? or something and at my size I have to be cautious.

Also what would be "more period correct" for a seat? that thing that's on it is very ugly and if I do end up keeping it the seat will absolutely be replaced, would this bike be a good candidate to just clean it up, get it working as it should and keep it original? or would it be better off making it as functional as possible and not worry about original?

and lastly, what are the benefits of down tube shifters vs where they are now? is it purely aesthetic?

Push