View Single Post
Old 02-27-11, 04:32 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '14 Insight 2, '95 Trek 720 Multi-Track, '94 Cannondale M600; '92 Raleigh Dash Max; '86 Panasonic DX 5000, '81 Fuji S12S, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '78 Motobecane Grand Touring, plus many more!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Hey Guys and Gals:

An old friend asked me to rebuild his Schwinn Sierra. It is complete and everything on it works but I am a bit concerned about the shifters. The shifters are Shimano Unishift controls 3 x 5 speed.

The upper housing is cracked on both of them where the shift cable housing is supposed to sit, so they need to be replaced.

Is there anything on the market right now to replace a 5 speed shifter bar mount thumb shifter?

A little research on line resulted in the Falcon friction shifters from several retailers and the Sunrace friction shifters from Rivendell. Anyone used either and have input?
I've purchased the Falcon 5-speed thumb shifters online in the past for 99 cents each. Some people might find them alright, they have a little "ratchet" action going, but I found them to be a little too delicate to my liking. I'd even opt for the old Shimano friction thumb shifters that came on the low-end 15-speed mountain bikes. You can easily salvage them off old junk bikes.