View Single Post
Old 02-28-11, 06:57 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by javal View Post
Japan! Not unexpected. Still, I would think amateur competitions were more widely spread. Thus the hybrid experiences could have been more complexed in comparison to roadies. Im curious...

We have loads of organised events here usually sponsored by Shimano (surprise surprise) , as Japan hasn't been totally infiltrated by the UCI yet. Because of this, it allows for all types of bike riders to compete / enter / enjoy the sport together, and not only be a spectator. Trust me, ALL types of bikes enter these events. Yes, it's all timed etc, but this is only for each rider to have an accurate recorded result for their own information. All entrants recieve a "fun pack" and prizes aren't awarded.

I mentioned the UCI hasn't infiltrated Japan yet, but unfortunately they are starting to grow here. Many beautiful Keirin tracks are closing down which is so sad. Note, those wanting a NJS frame better get your finger out, as my guess is they will be finished in the coming years.

In saying all that, Hybrids are flooding the streets of Japan, and cycling in general is growing at an uncredible pace. You would be shocked to see how many bike shops I have within a 1 km radius of my house.