Old 03-02-11, 09:14 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Your body will tell you (trial and error) if you need something during a ride or walk, but no one wants to bonk so most will consume a few hundred calories/hour during a longer effort. Your body can go hard for two hours or so on glycogen alone if that's the length of your effort. From a fitness standpoint there are pretty consistent recommendations as to what to do after a big effort: some protein within a short period of time, fluids to improve nutrient transport and simple sugars (which you generally don't want during a ride).

I use Clif Bars and Bloks during long rides (100K and Centuries), but in moderation. Each of these contains 200 calories which is about what you can really assimilate in an hour and I usually have Gatorade in one of my bottles. If it's an organized ride I'll have whatever strikes my fancy at the rest stops, chocolate cookies with peanut butter are particularly yummy, some chips, fresh fruit, maybe some nuts (but they're harder to digest). Real food not only tastes better but boosts the spirit. In fact I'm getting hungry just thinking about Solvang in a few weeks