View Single Post
Old 03-05-11, 03:56 PM
TomD77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diuretics and biking

Since I been biking, my blood pressure has become VERY much easier to control. A year and a half ago, I was taking massive doses of 3 different meds but even then the BP levels weren't what you would refer to as controlled. I'm now down to one med and that one a half of the previous dosage. I will always be on BP meds, it's genetic, I've been hypertensive since my early 30's and my whole family takes BP meds.

The one med that I still take contains 25 mg HCTZ, a diuretic. With hot weather coming on, I'm worried that it will predispose me to dehydration. Last year I tried switching the dose time to the evening but getting out of bed to pee several times just doesn't get it.

A few weeks ago, I did an experiment where I weighed myself prior to a 80 minute ride and immediately after, and also took into account the weight of water consumed during the ride. This in Florida and the temp was in the mid-70's. Between lost weight + weight of water consumed (24 oz or 1.51 pounds) water consumed the difference was 6.2 pounds for 1 hr 20 minutes. Give it another 3 months and that figure is going way up and I'm a little worried about the effect of starting in a semi-dehydrated condition.

Anyone have knowledge or thoughts on this. Most obviously, I will bring it up with my internist but surely someone here has been through it.

BTW: I'm now riding a LOT harder than last year.