View Single Post
Old 03-05-11, 04:57 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discuss it with your doctor. Be sure he knows and understands what you're doing and your concerns. There are other approaches to essential hypertension that may have much less impact on your state of hydration. In any case, this is one you really want to talk over with a professional.

I had something similar when I was first diagnosed with hypertension a few years ago. Mine was cause by a basically crappy life-style. Anyway, I was put on a beta blocker, which worked fine until I made a real commitment to clean up my act. Which included getting back on the bike after a 20-something year hiatus. The problem was as I (dramatically) improved my cardio-vascular fitness, the beta blockers dropped my heart rate down into the 30's at one point. Not good. After a talk with my cardiologist, I got switched over to an ACE inhibitor. Problem solved. Fortunately for me, the combination of smoking cessation, far healthier diet, loosing 50 lbs. and a vigorous riding schedule got me to a point where I'm off all B/P meds altogether. I'm still walking around with a resting HR in the high 40's to low 50's, but my doctor's happy and so am I

-Bert

Last edited by bsektzer; 03-05-11 at 05:12 PM.