Old 03-05-11, 06:48 PM
Xgecko
old legs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retrogression V1.5’ platform pedal straps vs Pryme Footstraps

AKA handmade in the USA vs mass produced someplace overseas….OK I’ll start this by saying that I really wanted to like the Pryme straps, sure they are knock offs, but I was hoping that they would work for me. If I wore bigger shoes or if my feet themselves were bigger they may have met my needs but I have size 9.5 feet and I mostly wear Classic Van’s (Sk8hi’s Slip-ons, Oldskools, Authentic’s etc) there just wasn’t enough adjustability in the Pryme’s design to work for me. So when I saw Scrod’s new straps I was interested. They came yesterday and the first thing I noticed was how easy they were to install. It took me longer to remove one of the Pryme straps than it did to install both of the Retrogression straps getting them adjusted was a dream in comparison….it’s the lack of buckles. It still took me a while to get them set so that both my smallest and largest shoes fit and yet my feet felt neither cramped nor too loose. But it was still easier than with the Pryme’s (it’s the lack of buckles) Getting my feet in and out was much easier. This I will attribute to the difference in construction and how the straps interact with the pedals I own (Animal Hamiltons) Holdfast style straps probably work better with pedal that have smaller vent/side holes like Odyssey Twisted and Prymes especially because the part of the straps that going through the pedal cage is a lighter thinner material that can't support itself. Conversely the Retrogression straps are stiffer, made of a heavier webbing and though Scrod sells them with Twisted pedals they work quite well with a more open pedal like the Animal Hamilton’s. Anyway the comfort level of the Retrogression straps is much much better whether I wear slip-ons or lace-ups the straps are at once softer and hold a better shape.
However I will admit I was dubious about the D ring, I have always liked both the look and function of Wig straps it wasn’t until I got everything set up and practiced getting in and out Retrogression straps that I came to understand the reasoning behind this design change. It holds everything in place and keeps the strap shaped right for easy entry (one of my big complaints with Pryme’s along with the buckles) but doesn't have the friction that an all fabric strap would have.
I made 2 round trips to work today (lunch) and then another 10 miles after work for a total 24 miles so I got a pretty good feel for them. Really comfortable for track standing, not bad for skidding, though admittedly I don’t skid much these days as there is way way way too much sand on the roads here in New England. On the other hand I really like to do the so called “Kevin Bacon dismount” and for the first time I don’t even have to pull my foot out first much more spontaneous . Yet I had plenty of foot hold for climbing both in the saddle and out. All things considered I am very happy with my straps and I look forward to may many miles of comfortable pedaling. Not to mention NO BUCKLES...as a side note my wife really likes my old Pryme footstraps so they are going on her bike