Old 03-07-11, 12:59 AM
JeffandKathy
Tandem newbies

Bikes: Burley Duet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Colorado tandem without a drum brake: No big deal, or a death wish?

Just picked up a used Burley Duet, a later model (previous owner says between '03 - '05), in pristine condition, immaculate drive train, all-Shimano components that are clean, lubed and adjusted.

And the caliper brakes have plenty of stopping power, but the bike does not have a drag/drum brake, though the rear hub is threaded so that it can accept one, and the frame has the necessary bolt receptacle to mount one.

You might have heard: Colorado has some hills. You can go 10 miles or more at grades of 6%+. Our only experience with a tandem is with a rental that my wife and I "rode" down Lombard Street in San Francisco; we had the drag brake set to max the entire curvy, cobblestoned descent. I have a hard time imagining coming off of Fremont Pass, Cottonwood Pass, Vail Pass, Loveland Pass, Rabbit Ears Pass or just about any pass (or even some of the surface streets in my neighborhood) totally freewheeling all the way down. If we didn't kill ourselves, we'd be cited for speeding -- assuming we could even pull over to a stop once the flashing lights appeared in our mirror.

But, being a tandem newbie, maybe I'm worried over nothing. Maybe the regular brakes are sufficient. What's your advice? Leave the bike alone and ride? Or buy a drag brake?