View Single Post
Old 03-10-11, 01:00 AM
Tansy

Bikes: Novara Safari(2009)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a used MSR Dragonfly a few years ago, and never really felt comfortable using it. It was noisy, fiddly, a pain to prime, and it was forever flaring up. Using it in the wind was harrowing, causing more flareups and all kinds of noise. I started eating cold oatmeal for breakfast because I didn't want to wait for the stove to cool in the mornings. It wasn't worth the effort for the comfort of a mid-day tea stop. It packs awkwardly, and I always worried about breaking some key part. The pump fell apart while in use, and I was without a stove for the rest of the trip. Of course, a lot of people say good things about the very same stove, so I guess I'm just unlucky.

I'm planning on using a trangia burner with a Vargo hexagonal woodstove. The hope is that, in addition to its intended use, the enclosed shape will funnel more heat into action. The same applies to a can of sterno, which can be snugly wedged into the woodstove for increased efficiency. The benefit will be that I still have some choices to picking the most cost-effective fuel for whatever area I'm in, with the capability of burning twigs and pinecones and such.