Old 03-10-11, 10:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
Most other countries require those employees to be paid the same minimum as everyone else, while in many states, for example, waiters can be paid as little as $2.50 an hour.
Not sure I get your point. The logic behind the lower minimum wage for waiters is that tips count toward the wage. So in essence it isn't a tip but a commission putting waiters in the same class legally as commissioned salesmen.

I think we basically agree.Tipping is OK, but it shouldn't be a semi-mandatory payment. BTW- in some countries certain workers don't accept tips, in others they're insulted. I spend a lot of time in Mexico and the no mandatory tip culture is so refreshing. Most workers don't get tips including cabbies and waiters. If a waiter does a great job, you leave him a few pesos as a thank you, but it isn't expected. Just about the only people you tip are those who work exclusively for tips like the bicicleros (cycle truck drivers) who ferry people, freight and luggage short distances in places like ferry and bus terminals.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.