View Single Post
Old 03-11-11, 03:22 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by WebsterBikeMan
So far, the answer to the original question appears to be two letters long.

I'm of the considered opinion that only a small minority of posters on this forum actually tour. We too are trying to decide whether to get an iPad to take on tour. The key advantages are size/weight. I don't think of it as a potential substitute for a Garmin ETrex Vista (as far as I can tell there is no mapping where there is no signal, and it only runs 10 hours on a charge when in use). But as a potential substitute for a netbook or laptop, perhaps.

I too will be interested in any responses from folks who have actually used one on tour.

If you want a device to search the web, do email, watch videos, light computing, IMHO, it's a nice alternative to a lap top, or netbook. The size and weight would be a significant advantage over any laptop and most net books. (Not only is the computer itself small and light, so is the charger, and given that it's a USB style charger, you only need one charger and multiple cords to charge other devices such as a phone.)

Additionally, the 10 hour battery would be a big advantage over a netbook or lap top if you don't have consistent access to electricity.

The solid state memory would also appear to offer a durability advantage, over a device with a hard drive.

So the question in my mind would be whether you really want a computer with you when you tour, and if so, whether you can get by with just a smart phone.

I haven't taken my iPad with me on a bike trip, but I use it a lot when I travel, and it works nicely for most of my purposes.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.