Old 03-12-11, 07:40 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it'd be a very good choice for you. Specifically one of the less race oriented cross bikes such as the Specialized Tricross Sport or the Motobecane Ti that you mentioned, would be a good choice as well. As far as dampening, I wouldn't worry too much about frame material. One of the beauty of cross bikes is you can fit quite a range of tires on them to make the ride as plush as you'd want. I run 28's on mine and it rides very, very nice over just about any road surface. The reason Bikes Direct sells Ti, is because people are asking for them. Ti sells. Nothing to do with the durability of the frame. I doubt very seriously that you'd ever wear out an aluminum frame bike. Yes, the carbon forks on cross bikes are designed to take up to around the 42-45 size tire.

The aluminum framed Tricross that I have rides as good as any bike I've ever ridden. It's how they design the frame that counts. Quite a few of the non-race oriented cross bikes have rack mounts so you shouldn't have trouble finding one that fits that need. Personally, I don't like carbon framed bikes either. The only reason is I feel like a poseur riding one and with the amount of abuse I throw at them, I'd be concerned that I'd crack something if I knocked it over or something. Never had a fear of it when riding though. They are very, very strong. Probably as strong as any other material due to how they were designed. Sure, you can crush the tube quite easily as compared to something like Ti, but the frame doesn't go under those types of stresses when riding. Run it over with your car and that'd be a different matter.

I think you'll be quite happy with a cross bike. I know I routinely choose mine over my dedicated road bike as I love taking detours down trails or dirt roads and I have no worries that my cross bike can handle it. I also haven't noticed much difference in speed on the road compared to my road bike. Acceleration isn't the same and climbing is a little harder, but I'm in no hurry so just drop it in the granny gear and enjoy the scenery.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you end up deciding.

Rick