Old 03-13-11, 09:04 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I can't imagine using the iPad for mapping purpose. I've always preferred paper maps; I can see the advantages of a GPS, but a massive iPad seems like total overkill.

However, an iPad would make a decent travel computer. The one thing it seems to be lacking for me is as a photo management center. I guess there are devices that allow you to connect an SD card to it, although it would be better if it had an integrated SD reader, but since it doesn't run full-blooded software, I assume it doesn't have any proper image organizing and editing software; I'd be happy if someone was to correct me on this, though (iPhoto doesn't count, I've used it on my wife's Mac and hate the thing). A 1 kg Netbook running Windows with an SD card reader with Photoshop Elements installed is therefore my preferred solution for this purpose.

Also, if the iPad had only half the battery life but was 200 grams lighter then I would be far more interested in it, especially as a travel computer. That thing is just too heavy for what it is, and I assume the extra weight must all be in that oversized battery.

Last edited by Chris_W; 03-14-11 at 02:57 AM.