View Single Post
Old 03-13-11, 12:10 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john423
Plus I'm gonna have to give up the ghost on the price and drop it significantly, probably to about 50 percent of what I paid for it. Lists at $1,300, I paid $1,050, so I might have to list it at $525. Ouch. At that point, I may be better off trying to use it as trade bait for an indoor trainer to save myself the trouble of trying to sell it.
I don't think this defeatist attitude is going to get you very far. You've been trying to sell the bike for a week, you posted an ad without a single picture, and now you're convinced it will never sell???

I'd suggest putting in at least a little effort before throwing in the towel... If I were you, I'd drop the price a little (into the $700-800 range), take some pictures (so people know you aren't trying to scam them), write up a nice ad, and post it on Craig's List (and every other place you can think of) again. Keep an eye on your ads, reposting them as necessary so that they're always near the top of the pile when the weekend arrives. If you're willing to accept a trainer or other used cycling gear as partial payment for the bike, state that in the ad.

Plan to keep the ads going for a month, or more! Expensive bikes don't sell themselves, and they certainly don't do it overnight! If you want to make the sale, you're going to have to put some effort into it and be willing to wait until you find the right buyer. If you don't get any nibbles after the first couple of weeks, drop your price by $100 and wait another couple of weeks. Keep doing that until the bike starts to generate some interest. Once you get some nibbles, you'll know you're in the right ballpark on price. You may also find that as the weather gets better, you have a larger pool of buyers to draw from and thus are more likely to sell at the price you want.