Old 03-14-11, 05:45 PM
meanwhile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasKid
Meanwhile, I don't claim to be an expert about any of this, and I'm not a finatic either. But, I don't do or believe everything I hear or see on TV as you might suggest. I also realize that a guy working at a bike shop, and even bike forum members like yourself, are not always "right." NO offense intended there, you're probably more knowledgable about bicycle tires than me, but to say my "friends din't know what they're talking about" is an ignorant statement to make.
How can it be "ignorant" when it is a matter of fact? They're wrong.

I'm not saying that your friends are stupid or uncommonly ignorant - but the tyre makers and tyre testing labs do know what they are talking about! Have your friends read a single technical document on tyres in their lives? Bothered to look up rolling resistance test data? Do they know what hysteresis energy is? Do they know what power law wattage against speed follows for rolling resistance and air resistance? No - otherwise they wouldn't have told you what they did. Like 99% of riders they think that whatever is fast for the TDF must be fast in all circumstances and don't bother to RTFM.