View Single Post
Old 03-18-11, 09:11 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Justin, does it feel too small because of the short top tube? You have probably spent your whole adult life feeling cramped in many situations, and perhaps you get this feeling on that Sports. But it's really normal for us road riders when we jump on a Sports. The reach is extremely short. If that seat is adjusted to your height, then the bike isn't too small for you. And if you want, you can get a long-extension stem.
Can I make it work? Yes. It it the proper size? No. I'm right at 6'. I was in a traumatic accident just prior to my 18th birthday and my 4th lumbar burst into shrapnel. A piece of someone else's femur bone, a fair amount of titanium nuts and bolts and bone fusion later my torso is simply shorter than it would have been otherwise. I was long-legged to begin with so this just exacerbated the issue relative to my overall height. Relatively short top tubes work for me. So, the reach can be set to accommodate me pretty easily using a taller stem with a longer reach.

The seat post as pictured is not quite high enough, but works for short rides. I'm not interested in modifying this beauty. It's just not right for me. I'd rather see it go to someone to whom it is better suited. 9-10 centimeters of stem showing is my limit. More than that and I personally feel that a bike looks bad. I'm pretty much a fistful of seat post guy too.