Old 03-19-11, 02:08 PM
JoelBikes

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
There's a lot of flex in the stem of the m3l brompton I'm riding at the moment. It's eqivalent to that of my Curve SL. . . about the same. Though being steel somehow it feels healthier(?).
Do you know how old the bike is? I'm just curious so I'm can compare it to my experience. My wife has a 2010 M6R and I find the flex to be what I would consider very minimal (in the realm of folding bikes that is). I could have lived with this and would have bought it anyway, until I tried the Brompton S6R (straight, mountain bike handlebars). The S-series converted me because it's so solid feeling - like I said above - no flex or 'noodly' feeling in the front. I've tried my wife's M-series a few times since we bought them and have concluded that I definitely would have been happy with it if the S-series did not exist. I think one of the advantages the M-series has is that the 'banana like' handlebars give a little so it's almost like a little shock absorption built-in. The S-series definitely doesn't 'give a little' - it's solid - and one of the reasons I replaced the grips with Ergon's for better protection on my palms (grip options doesn't hurt either).