Old 03-20-11, 12:03 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rapattack
Hmmmm sounds like something i could do. Not sure exactly. Just that in the city you don't find people that are handy. I am the handiest one around. I have a toolbox full of stuff and i am always fixing things. My dad taught me as he is like that(sewing machine mechanic by trade). I live too far from him to get him to help and he has parkinsons now so the hands are not steady. I have heard of crimping tools so i might just ask if i can find some kind of auto place. I can't take the bike to them or the battery as i do not drive a car so everything will have to be verbal.
The other option is that there is a thing called 'bike club' not far from me. i might suss out who knows about ebikes. It is a community thing.
You have given me heaps to start on. Wish i could get this done quick and get back on the bike but i will have to be patient. Thanks!!!

Honestly, no offense... but if you don't know what a very basic item like a fuse is, then you'd really be better off getting some hands-on assistance the first time you try any rewiring. The batteries used in e-bikes can dump a huge amount of current in a very short period of time - enough to cause the battery to out-gas violently, or even explode.

Any mis-wiring that ends up in a potential short circuit - especially in an improperly fused system - is bad news all around.