Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by john423
. I don't necessarily wanna average 15 mph. That'd be nice, but I'm not sure me or the bike's built for it.
It is easily in your reach! Don't underestimate yourself, especially if you have'nt been on the bike long. Funny, I used to think the samething. I did lots of riding (2000 miles per year). Well alot I thought. We bought our tandem and started riding together even more. Back in 98 I was riding tying to hold onto the back of a paceline doing 20 thinking these people were incredible. I got a good looka their bikes and they were the same thing I was riding.

So on our tandem one day, we tried to hang on at 20 once again. They just pulled away like nothing. So I gave up onthining I could ever hang. I just went on my merry way and kept riding tryign my best.

I swear, one day about a year later, I woke up in the morning, we got on the tandem and hit the same trail. Again I saw a group doing 20 and figure, what the heck. We gave chase hoping to hang at 20 which we could never do in the past. Surprisingly, we rolled right by at 24!

WTF! Next thing I know we're rolling at 24 and the entire group of about 15 are on our wheel.

Holy..... we just went with it asking no questions. Next thingI know we're at the end of the ride and the entire group is thanking us for the massive pull

It was like magic, waking up one day with magic legs. All I can think of is that the leg muscles developed over the year with lots of time on the bike. From that day on, holding onto the end of a line doing 20 is like taking candy from a baby. I actually feel bad doing it. Gina too went from 12 mph to being able to hold 22-24 for good distances. He best average is 18.4 over a 42 mile bike ride.

ALl I can sy is give it some time, kepe riding doingyur best and dont worry about the others's speeds. If you "want" to do it, you are on your way! Give it time, be patient.

Being impatient and getting discouraged is the sword that slays too many riders.