Old 03-27-11, 09:06 PM
jrhii
Señor Member

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Franken Strada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuga Dude, I'll take what help I can in looking.

Looks like I'll probably pass. I don't really mind the weight, as I've never had a problem with endurance, and there really isn't anything brutal hillwise until I get to campus (UMSL must be one of the hilliest parts of the city that isn't near the rivers). I wasn't able to measure the chain but I can only assume that will need replaced, and I'm afraid things just might add up cost wise (If I get something with steel wheels then I plan on replacing them with Al. over the sumer when I have more money so it is lighter and does better in the rain if I ever get caught in it).

As to upkeep, I think the guy has kept it tuned up, but he had so many bikes that he probably just didn't actually ride it enough to wear it out more. He said he once had 5 varsitys all in different colors. Still, I'm comfortable with basic upkeep that might be necessary, e.g. repacking hubs, truing wheels (assuming it isn't ridiculously out of true), calibrating cables, etc.. I'll probably just stay patient and keep looking, plus there are still some shops around I'm going to check out to see what they have used.