Old 03-28-11, 04:05 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirror Mounting on Helmet for "Take A Look"

I've been pleased with the Take-A-Look mirror mounted on my sunglasses except:
  • Sunglasses aren't good when it gets dark! (I haven't found good clear glasses)
  • My sunglasses ride down my nose slightly over time when I ride (normal? or bad fit?) - sometimes I need to push them back which improves the view in the mirror.
  • When off the bike (e.g., lunch break), it would be nice if the mirror wasn't on the glasses. It's only a small PITA to remove it and later replace it, but still...
It seems like it would be better to mount it on the helmet. Any problems with helmet-mounted mirrors?

Mounting -
My helmet does not have a visor. The "shell" is a very thin piece of plastic molded over a Styrofoam shell - like this:
The manufacturer makes a mounting kit:
But none of LBS have it, and it seems like any piece of plastic (e.g., a credit card) would work.
  • Does the "factory" kit work well? Any problems?
  • Would my DIY idea work just as well?
    • Any problem using any plastic that offers enough rigidity to provide a good mount for the 3 "legs" of the mirror?
    • Would there be any problem using velcro so it could be removed?
    • Any alternative ideas?
Thanks, as always.

PS - I love the large, rectangular view and the steadiness of the mirror. It's a great product.

Last edited by hobkirk; 03-28-11 at 09:29 PM.