View Single Post
Old 03-29-11, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tube cutter Will raise a Burr around the inside of the tube,

as said measure many times , before you cut..

You can always run with spacers above the stem, so as to get the low position..
The burr on the inside isn't too much of a problem. Even if you use a hacksaw, you'll need to dress the inside of the tubing. Get a deburring tool like this.

Originally Posted by Burton
Already had this discussion with a shop owner that thought using a hacksaw and guide was passee and a waste of time. I actually decided to let him `educate me` with a demo on a new fork, LOL

A tube cutter doesn`t cut metal - it DISPLACES it. Which means that the outside diameter within 2 to 3 mmof the `cut` areas will be too large for the stem to go onto, and the inside dia will be too deformed and small to insert a star-nut.

Of course if you insist you can always check and see for yourself!
A tubing cutter works but, as you say, it displaces the metal rather than cuts it. However, it's easy to file the raised ridge off. Even a saw cut will need some cleaning. If you really want to make the tube nice and smooth you should use a pipe reamer like this one. This one is a very good one but you can find them cheaper

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Starnut, Id say, is only a good piece to use on steel fork steerers . scratch becomes aluminum stress riser
becomes crack, becomes a break, too easily.
I've never used anything but a starnut on steer tubes. I've got lots of aluminum steer tube equipped forks that have starnuts in them. Most of those are mountain bike forks too which take a lot more abuse than road bikes. Haven't had one crack yet. The top of the steer tube doesn't see all that much stress anyway. I don't think it's an issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!