Old 04-02-11, 12:23 PM
traction

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sold my bike and the guy is giving me a fit?

So I had a bike that has sat in my basement without being ridden for about 2 years. I sold it to a guy on ebay and stated that it needed some work here and there. Just some simple stuff, a tune up, new derailleur pulleys, brakes re-bled. He drove an hour to pick the bike up, no problems.

He emailed me yesterday and said that the item was not as described. As it turns out I forgot (2 years ago) that there was a broken spoke on the rear wheel. He also claims the rear wheel is bent.

The conversation went as follows:

Him--->
After examining the bike I noticed the rear wheel is bent and a spoke on the rear wheel is broken and missing. This information was missing in your item description. While I accept the brake and cog issue noted in your description, you failed to note the problem with the rear wheel. I suggest that I take the wheel to a bike shop and have them replace the spoke and true the wheel at your expense. Please let me know ASAP. If I do not hear from you, I will contact e-bay and pursue my options there.
Thanks,
------

Me---->
The wheel is not bent. It may need to be re-true'ed, such is maintenance on an 8 year old bike. The broken spoke I forgot about as I have not used the bike in a while as explicitly stated in the description. I'll refund $20 just because I forgot to mention the spoke. I'll stay in contact and work out the issue with you.

Him---->
Hard to believe "You forgot" when you explicitly mention in the listing that you never had a problem with the wheel set. I would not have bid had you mentioned any damage to the wheel set. Be that as it may, the bike shop says it will cost $40 to repair the wheel. At this point I am due a refund on the shipping (the bike was picked up at the local address you stipulated) of $60 which you promised to credit to my PayPal acct. If you want to settle this matter deposit a total of $100 ($60 shipping, $40 wheel) to my PayPal acct now. That will bring to bike up to the description in the listing. Should you not wish to do this, negative feedback and I will open a case with ebay. Your choice. Ebay notified me that this auction is covered under ebay's buyer protection plan. Please don't send me another email. Just make the deposit or not. I will act accordingly.

Me---->
I don't appreciate the accusation. I noticed the spoke about 2 years ago, my mistake; however, $20 is more than reasonable to have one spoke replaced.
I will not refund the price to re-true the wheelset. If you wish to have the wheels perfectly true then it is your responsibility as it does not affect the ride. I said that they have not given me a problem and they have not.

I held off on sending the shipping refund last night until we resolved this issue and I could send it in one amount.

Am i in the right? I mean there's no reason I have to re-true the wheel because one spoke was broken? Appreciate any input, but I thought $20 was fair to replace a single spoke?