Old 04-04-11, 02:48 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
I think most people were just thinking of the bike lane merging left of the right turn lane, so that by the time you reach the stoplight you have (left to right): 1) Standard travel lane 2) Bike Lane 3) Right Turn Lane. It starts far right and then the right turn and bike lanes cross each other to arrive at the final position shown (1, 2, 3).

We don't have any like that here near a freeway onramp, but we do have them at a few intersections. It generally works pretty well... it puts both drivers preparing to turn and cyclists on alert as they negotiate the merge. They use this set up at busier intersections where it's considered sketchy to simply have the bike merge left into the travel lane (which is the norm... we usually have a little bike painted to show that bikes are supposed to be there and where to put your wheels in order to trip the sensor). I wish I could show an example, but Google Maps Streetview is outdated and doesn't show the newly painted intersections...

(As an aside, I'd be perfectly fine getting rid of the right on red law...)
I can agree with that. As from my experience it doesn't seem many motorists slow down let alone stop before making a right on red. And we'd also be able to save I don't know how much money by NOT having to erect the "reminder" signs that say "Turning Traffic Must Yield to Pedestrians."