View Single Post
Old 04-05-11, 11:57 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
I've never ridden a leather saddle but I figured I might give one a try.

A couple of things:

How do they respond to vibrations? Lacking any padding/cushioning I could imagine perhaps they're harsh, or perhaps the 'hammock' principle means you're somewhat isolated from buzz through being suspended?

The Brooks 'S' series is supposedly for women but apparently the only difference is length and width measurements. With a shorter nose they're significantly lighter, so I'm figuring I'd prefer an S model for that reason. Unless I've missed something and there's some other differences?
Your tire choice is far more important than your saddle in terms of addressing road vibration. I've never noticed a problem with any of my Brooks saddles, but I tend to run wider tires at moderate pressure so vibration isn't much of an issue for me.

I wouldn't select the shape of your saddle to save weight. I'd get the shape that works best for your body. The few grams that will be lost or gained either way make no difference and if lightweight was your top priority I wouldn't suggest a Brooks saddle at all.