Old 04-08-11, 06:46 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There is a paved trail (Henry Hudson Trail) that runs from Atlantic Highlands/Highlands/Sandy Hook to Freehold, this is another potential route the gets you off road into central NJ. As for the D&R the feeder canal that runs south from Frenchtown on the Delaware river it has a good stone dust surface (we ride 700/32 tires on a tandem), I can't say what the main D&R canal is like out of New Brunswick but last time we rode it (a number of years ago) there were some rough spots.

Concerning the NJ coastal route I live about 2 miles from the ocean and I can say the route from Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands/Highlands down to Sea Girt/Manasquan is pretty good riding. The traffic along the coast is generally pretty slow (25-35 MPH speed limits), and there is often a decent shoulder most of the way. You'll encounter short stretches of "city riding" i.e. car doors, pedestrian crossings, etc. in towns like Belmar but these are very short, you'll have a great view of the Atlantic ocean most of the way. We've never ridden south of Manasquan, but you've got to cross the Manasquan river via the Highway 35 drawbridge into Point Pleasant or further inland by the Highway 70 drawbridge.