Old 06-10-05, 04:08 PM
Roasted
huffy owns

Bikes: Catrike Expedition, KHS XC 204 mountain bike, Nashbar SS Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many questions regarding rim straightening and brake systems. Please read, I'm lost..

Okay, where to start...

So I noticed a small kink in my rim. When I held down the front brake once every rotation I would feel the brakes grab tighter, and that was due to the slight bend it had at one point. So I started tweaking the spokes a little bit to get that bend out. Well, I got it out. I probably spent a good hour or so just carefully tweaking the spokes and whatnot. Somehow, I did everything backwards at first, so the spokes were soooo loose. I guess it works in reverse from the way I was looking at the spokes (righty tighty lefty loosey is what I kept telling myself, turns out the way I was sitting made it the opposite).

Anyway, I accidently loosened all of the spokes. So, what else is there to do? Tighten them all back up THEN start tweaking the minor bends out. So I did, and I got the rim completely straight, not a slight bend in it PERIOD. The spokes weren't too tight, but weren't too loose.

Well, I noticed something a little off with my front brakes. I never noticed this before but I'm not sure. Anyway, here's a picture.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...ikepicture.jpg

Notice the two red arrows? They are pointing at the black brake "cranks" if you will. When I hold down the brake so the front tire is completely stopped, the one black brake "crank" isn't symmetrical versus the other. This particular one sticks out a little bit more. Though they still stop the bike and stop the rim from spinning, I wasn't sure why one stuck out a bit more.

Here's what I thought: I thought maybe when I re-tightened everything with my rim that maybe one side is a lot tighter than the other, and although there's an imbalance between the right and left side being tight, perhaps I was still able to achieve the state of having NO bends in the rim, despite the fact the hub was off center due to one side being tighter than the other. Is this possible? I know it sounds like a bunch of garble, but it is incredibly hard to explain in words what I'm trying to get at.

I hope this explains it, and I look forward to some input.